The monsoon brings a much-needed respite from the scorching heat after the summer. But the change in climate also ushers in cold, cough and viral fever. Since the air remains laden with moisture most of the time, it gives rise to many fungal and bacterial growths inside the house.
- Wash your hands and feet after coming home. You pick up several germs and quite some dirt on your clothes and skin during the rainy season. The best hygienic practice to follow during the season is to shower in warm water when you return home. If you do not have the time for a shower, wash your hands and feet thoroughly with warm water infused with antiseptic liquid – try the Dettol antiseptic liquid in your bath for the best results. A fast acting disinfecting Dettol antibacterial soap is a must for the wash basin. When outdoors, keep a Dettol hand sanitizer in your bag and use it before and after meals or after touching shared surfaces.
- Wash your clothes regularly. You might not sweat much in this season, but your clothes will become damp many times over when it rains. Excess moisture invites a lot of bacterial germs and fungi – these make your clothes smell bad and also cause skin infections. Washing your clothes after every use is best – use Dettol Antiseptic Liquid in your laundry and keep silica packets in your wardrobe to keep your clothes dry and minus the musty odour.
- Clean your footwear every few days. Your footwear is a hotbed of germs, dirt and dried muddy water. It can cause fungal infections, rashes, boils and even infect already broken skin. Do not wait for your footwear to smell bad before you wash it – give it a good scrub every two days to remove trapped dirt, mould and other impurities.
- Keep the kitchen and bathroom clean. The wet areas of the house are more predisposed to germs and bacteria than other areas. There is no option but to keep these areas as dry as possible and to give them a good scrub and wipe down at least twice a week. Use a strong tile and floor soap in your cleaning water, wipe down the cooking tops, stove, faucets, toilet seat, switches, towel rods and door knobs with Dettol Antiseptic Liquid. Also, disinfect the toilet bowl once a week to keep illness-causing germs away.
- Get a pest control treatment done. A lot of pests will make your way into your home this season as they flee the wet outdoors. The general damp atmosphere also gives rise to aerial bacteria that settles on every surface. It is best to get a fumigation service done for the house during the rainy season. Fumigating the house gets rid of mosquitoes and flies, while sprays and gels remove cockroaches, ants and spiders. Also get any cavities in the walls or pipes sealed so that rats and lizards do not enter the home.