During the early years of nursing, mother and baby interact very closely and this is why the level of hygiene a mother observes certainly affects her more vulnerable newborn child. To help your baby stay healthy, here is a checklist of how to keep hygienic between you and your baby.
Hygiene Tips for Mother and Baby
- Regularly sterilise all baby toys as well as feeding products and breast pump.
- Sanitize your home routinely, with great attention to your baby’s nursery
- Ensure all visitors wash and sanitize their hands before touching your baby
- Keep your nipples clean and dry for your breastfeeding child and wear clothing that allows circulation of air.
- Change your nursing bra every day and ensure to keep them clean and sanitized.
- Wash hands before breastfeeding or bottle-feeding your baby
- Wash your hands after changing your baby’s diaper and after cleaning vomit or mucus
- Ensure your hands and clothes are clean before carrying your baby
- Take necessary caution to keep your child protected when someone at home is sick
- Keep pets away from the baby until he or she is much older
- Keep kitchen surfaces, floors and tables clean
- Mother and baby should stay clean and fresh with regular bath routine.